01 Nov What To Do When You Find Mold
Mold is not an issue to be taken lightly. Although some might think of it only as a nuisance or an eyesore, mold can damage your home, furnishings, belongings, and can even cause mild to severe health issues. Since mold is related to moisture, south Floridians face a higher risk for struggling with this destructive force due to the high humidity levels.
If you discover mold in your home, your primary concern might be whether or not your homeowner’s policy will cover repair of the mold damage. Here are some tips you should know about mold contamination or damage insurance claim:
- Before you call your insurance company, call Reliant Adjusters. Our public adjusters will work with you to be sure your claim is handled fairly and will negotiate with your insurance provider on your behalf. We work for you, the policyholder, and are available at 561-929-9826
- Most homeowners’ insurance policies cover mold that was caused by a “covered peril” such as: fire, lightning, vandalism, frozen pipes or weight of snow or ice (largely irrelevant in South Florida), falling objects, accidental discharge of water from appliances, sprinkler systems, heating and cooling system or plumbing. In these cases your homeowners’ policy will usually pay for clean-up and repairs. Mold that results from a preventable water leak, flooding, or high humidity is not usually covered.
- Take photos and document all areas of damage.
- Mold grows very quickly, so while you are working to file a claim, it’s also important to clean up water and/or stop the leak.
- Once you’ve stopped the leak, remove rugs, carpet or any other material that can hold water and allow mold growth to begin. Depending on the amount of damage or clean up, you might need to call in a company that specializes in this particular type of clean-up. While you want to remove these items from your home, don’t throw anything away until your insurance company has conducted their investigation.
- Use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out the area.
At Reliant Adjusters, we can handle your entire mold damage insurance claim and advise on outside expert assistance if you require it. When filing mold damage claims with your insurance provider we can present them with the facts and negotiate a fair and decent settlement for you.